Well, 2012 is over and it’s time to look back at what movies I watched this past year and to get a sneak peak at 2013. First, some random totals:
- Total number of movies watched in 2012: 452 (up from 261 last year). Now, this total includes short subjects, such as the Three Stooges. I counted those on this list because they are two-reelers and were released theatrically. The short subjects totaled 211 by themselves. The 452 breaks down as 18 action, 6 animated, 245 comedy, 4 documentaries, 7 dramas, 157 sci-fi/horror, 12 suspense/thriller and 3 westerns.
- I went to a movie theater 34 times (down from 43 last year).
Top 5 Movies I Saw in a Movie Theater
1. 007: Skyfall (Might very well be the best of all Bond movies)
2. The Avengers (Very fun payoff for years of build-up, best version of the Hulk yet)
3. The Woman In Black (Felt like a classic Hammer gothic horror film, good old fashioned scary)
4. The Dark Knight Rises (Not perfect but come on, it’s Batman)
5. The Hunger Games (went in blind and had a really good time with it) and The Hobbit: An Enchanted Journey (A little longer than it could have been but very fun to be back in Middle Earth) (tie)
1. John Carter (2012) (This was so much better than the critics would have you believe)
2. Kuroneko (1968) (Excellent Japanese ghost story, looks amazing on Blu-ray)
3. The Dead (2010) (Very wise blind buy, cool to see zombies in a different country, nice change of pace for the zombie genre)
4. The Silencers (1966) (Nice start to the famous Dean Martin series, not sure why it took me so long to watch this)
5. Deadlier Than The Male (1967) (Very fun 60s spy flick, theme song still stuck in my head)
Worst Movies I Saw in a Movie Theater
1. Ghost Rider: Spirit Of Vengeance (2012) (I hated the directorial style, bad storyline and bad casting of Ciaran Hinds)
2. Paranormal Activity 4 (2012) (I like the first three but this had some major plot issues, bad CGI and…well, it was just kind of boring and too predictable)
Worst Movies I Saw on DVD/DVR for the First Time
1. The Sitter (2011) (I stopped after 35 minutes, Jonah Hill was just too unlikeable)
2. Piranha 3DD (2012) (I really like the first one, this had bad acting and a stupid storyline…plus David Hasselhoff, ‘nuff said there)
3. Cat-Women of the Moon (1953) (This was just too boring, nothing ever really happens)
4. Invasion of the Neptune Men (1961) (Horrible dubbing and a dumb storyline, very disappointed with this one)
5. Nazis At The Center of the Earth (2012) (I know, The Asylum should have been a warning, bad acting and laughable CGI ruined what could have been cheesy fun)
So, what’s next in 2013?
- I plan on finishing up the Gamera and Godzilla series as well as enjoying some classic (and not so classic) Japanese horror films.
- Having finished up with the Three Stooges, I’ll start off 2013 watching the entire Laurel and Hardy library.
- It’s a lofty goal but I also want to watch all of the Alfred Hitchcock movies in release order. I started this a couple years back but got sidetracked after about four movies in.
- Finally, I also want to watch more Kurosawa and more westerns.
Beyond that, I have no clue. Vince and the gang over at the B Movie Cast, Desmond at Dread Media, Brother D at Mail Order Zombie/1951 Down Place and Terry over at Paleo Cinema/Martian Drive-In will surely get me off-track at some point in the year.
Thanks for reading in the last three months and here’s to looking ahead to 2013!