Comedy isn’t the only genre of old time radio classics that will help you get into the holiday spirit. There are plenty of mysteries and crime thrillers that are just as creepy as the ghost of Christmas past.
So here are a few suggestions that will help you relive the days of yesteryear or, if you are lucky, introduce you to a whole new world from the past.
- “Christmas for Carole” (12-21-50) starring Dennis Day (of Jack Benny fame) as a man desperate to help his dying wife, even if it means becoming a criminal
- “Out for Christmas” (12-21-58) starring Raymond Burr as a man released from prison with nothing but revenge on his mind
- “Twas The Night Before Christmas” (12-21-53) starring Greer Garson as a housekeeper trying to hide the news from a child that her parents are missing on Christmas Eve
- “Back for Christmas” (12-23-43) starring Peter Lorre as a college professor who has had enough of his nagging wife
- “22 Rifle for Christmas” (12-22-49) is a tale about two missing boys and a rifle
- “The Big Little Jesus” (12-22-53) is about a stolen infant Jesus statue
The Shadow is one of my all-time favorites. Just as sure as crime doesn’t pay, it didn’t take the holidays off either. Here are two great Christmas tales, both starring Bill Johnstone.